Prep Time: 20 minutes
Refrigeration Time: 1 hour
Bake: 1 hour
Cook: 3 minutes
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- Fresh mint and whipped cream (optional)
- Heat oven to 250 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Draw a 7-inch circle on the parchment; flip paper. (For a crunchier Pavlova, opt for an 8-inch circle.)
- In a small bowl, combine 3/4 cup of the sugar, the cornstarch and salt; set aside. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes. Increase speed to high; add sugar mixture 1 tablespoon at a time. Add vanilla and beat until mixture is glossy and sugar is incorporated, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer egg-sugar mixture to parchment paper. Carefully spread within the circle, creating a slight dip in the middle (where raspberry sauce will rest). Bake at 250 degrees on middle rack for 1 hour. Turn off oven, crack door and cool inside for 1 hour.
- In a small pot, combine 1 cup of the raspberries, the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon water over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook 3 minutes, until sugar is dissolved. Stir in remaining 1 cup raspberries and pour into bowl to cool.
- Transfer Pavlova to a plate; pour raspberry sauce on top and, if desired, garnish with mint. (Whipped cream can also be spread on the Pavlova before sauce is poured on top.)